Monday, February 16, 2009

Last Day in Santiago

Today is my last day in Santiago, tomorrow morning I'm flying to Arica. I might spend one night there depending on the bus scheduals to Bolivia. We got back late last night from Con Con and I had a great weekend on the coast. It was Julio's cousin's birthday and his family had a big BBQ. I love the food here! I ate tons of chilean food. Later that night we all headed back to Julio's family's house to hang out and I got mini lesson on how play the conga drums, apparently I was pretty good at it.

Liz, Emily, and I walked around Valparaiso on Saturday and it was very nice. It is often referred to as the city of art because there are many artists living there; and we went into a lot of cute art studios. Unfourtunately, the art has gotten pretty expensive due to the large amont of tourists that visit Valpo. I got a really cute pair of earrings there though. Later Saturday night we went to a salsioteca (like a discoteco, except they play salsa music). Well, to say that I am not the best salsa dancer would be an understatement. I've been taking lessons for awhile now, at school and with friends but I dont think anything I've learned so far was helping me that night. Let's just say I felt bad for my dance partners who got stepped on more than a few times, and I actually accidentally elbowed Julio's cousin in the face :(

After the salsioteca we headed to Vina del Mar where they have a huge clock made from flowers that actually works. I have no idea how, but I took pictures. It's cooler on the coast but the weather was great on Sunday so we all went to the beach. I haven't gotten sunburned again which great because there is a huge hole in the ozone layer abover Chile and the sun is very strong here. We got back to Santiago pretty late Sunday night so I'll be posting pics today. Im excited to be heading to a new country tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday, Caitlin!!! I hope you have a wonderful one ~

    ReplyDelete

Where are you in the world?